Wednesday, January 28, 2015

On Feminism

In the Merriam-Webster dictionary, ‘feminism’ is defined as “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.” Men and women are created equally, and so of course should have equal rights and opportunities. While equality for men and women is something I fully support, I can’t say I identify with the term ‘Feminism’ as it is commonly applied in today’s society.
What is advertised as a movement for equality of men and women in society, I find to be more accurately defined as a socialist battle of entitlement and ‘man-hating’.
The movement has progressed far past equality issues, and instead dwells on issues like demanding free distribution of rape-preventing nail polish whilst simultaneously belittling the products creators.
Date rape is a huge problem in our country, especially on college campuses. Often, the crime involves the use of heavy-duty drugs to wipe out the victim. Four undergraduate students at North Carolina State University had all had friends or loved ones who had unfortunately gone through this horrific crime. So they decided to put their engineering skills to work, and they created a special nail polish that would change color if it came in contact with date rape drugs. Personally, I think this is great. All too often we ignore crimes and injustice happening right before our eyes and these guys decided to do something about it. However, the people over at Feministing.com think differently.
They title their article, ‘Some Questions About Undercover Colors Anti-Rape Nail Polish’. Here are their questions:
  1. Are you at all worried that by overstating the prevalence of date rape drugs, your product might give its users, who are no less likely to become victims of other kinds of sexual assault, a false sense of security?
I’m a little more worried about the fact that Feministing.com acts like all women are incapable idiots.
  1. And given that your product only addresses a relatively tiny subsection of the sexual violence in this country, do you have any plans to donate your profits to help protect the remainder of the 18 percent?
That is so ridiculously unjust. They might as well have said, “This product is only a good idea if you sacrifice all material wealth.”
  1. Is your product free? Will if be universally available in bars and on college campuses?
Already, this sounds like a communist agenda.
  1. What if I’m interested in ensuring not only my safety but also the safety of all the other women who have not heard about — or cannot afford to buy — your nail polish? Do you recommend that I just purchase a bulk order and set up a nail-painting table outside my local bar? Can you provide some advice for how to discreetly ask strangers if they’d like me to stir their drinks as well?
Those are personal decisions, obviously. The students aren’t responsible for the entire prevention of rape. Duh.
  1. If your product becomes popular, won’t drink-spikers just learn to target the drinks of nail polish-free women? Will you have a clear polish to avoid this problem?
That’s actually a genuine concern, and a great idea, but again, not the students’ responsibility.
  1. Are you at all concerned that women who weren’t wearing your polish when they were drugged and raped will be blamed for not doing everything in their power to “ensure [their] safety”?
The nail polish is meant to be a supplement or precaution, not a lasso of truth.
  1. Do you know the definition of “empowering“? It involves giving someone the power to do something. “Giving” is not synonymous with “selling.”
That last one gets me. “Giving” is not synonymous with “selling.” Which reminds me of a certain principle in ‘The 5000 Year Leap’ by W. Cleon Skousen.
The Seventh Principle in ‘The 5000 Year Leap’ states: “The proper role of government is to protect equal rights, not provide equal things.” So, implying (or outright demanding) that the profits of hard work and entrepreneurship should be either nonexistent or donated to rape prevention is simply unjust. Skousen states: “Their policy [the American Founders] was to guarantee the equal protection of all people’s rights and thus insure that all would have the freedom to protest. There was to be no special penalty for getting rich.” Is it wrong to profit from an invention that could prevent the rape of another woman somewhere? I do not think so. I say more power to you. I think it’s great that these men are taking interest and trying to find solutions to our current predicament of ‘rape culture’ in society.

The last thing I have to say about Feminism is this:  I absolutely believe in equality. I believe women should be free to make choices, move up in the workplace, and support themselves. I believe they have the right to be mothers, to homeschool their children or public school them. But men have rights as well. Instead of focusing on ‘empowering women’, we should focus on empowering humanity. We’re all in this together, and we might as well make the best of it. Life is too short to hold grudges against the other gender.
Sagerific

2 comments:

  1. Simply amazing. I may not read all of your stuff, Sage, but I am in love with this post

    ReplyDelete